Sunday, May 12, 2013

Coinjock, NC


After a great dinner at the River Dunes Club, the Admiral thoroughly enjoyed her "land side" night in the marina cottage complete with king size bed, a big soaking tub, HDTV, and no wave action (or any other kind of action). It's a good thing too, because today she had to endure one of the worst days yet!

First of all. I want to assure all of you, that while we never in any danger today, we had one of the most unpleasant trips from Oriental NC to Coinjock NC. I am sure you are ALL getting rather weary of our "lousy weather" reports and conditions, but this is one for the record books and WILL NOT be repeated by this Captain again. 

Knowing that that the forecast winds and seas were to continue to be out of the NE at 20-25 knots with gusts to 35 knots, we decided to try and get out ahead of the worst of it early this morning. As we entered the open waters of the Neuse River we were greeted with 3-5 foot waves right on the nose. We were only out in it for about 7 miles (with seas splashing not only over the bow, but over the entire boat) when I seriously contemplated something I have never done before -- turning around. I asked the Admiral how she was doing and what she thought we should do -- maybe it was the nice bath and good night's rest the night before, but she said, "whatever you want to do, I am fine". 

And so we persevered on, knowing that there were a number of places ahead where we would be in well protected waters and calm seas. But that didn't last long when we finally had to cross Albermarle Sound - a notorious nasty body of water. Today, it was very rough, very angry, and very unpleasant. Even the Captain got a little "green" but managed to keep it together.

But we finally made it to Coinjock, NC -- perhaps the most unusual, smallest, best equipped, great little restaurant, funky marina along the entire route of the ICW. The restaurant is known for their 32 oz prime rib, but I think tonight, given the days adventure calls for something a little more "moderate" -- like maybe 16 oz?


No comments:

Post a Comment