Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Moon River - Savannah, Georgia

We got underway this morning from Fernandina Beach at 8am under clear skies and calm seas with Savannah as our destination. With favorable conditions at hand I thought it might be a good day to run outside in the Atlantic Ocean. After taking a second glance at the Admiral's temperature for that idea, I decided that discretion is the better part of valor and opted to take the "inside" course. And I am glad we did

Not only did we have basically flat calm seas the entire day, but for the most part, we had the waterway to ourselves. This stretch of the ICW through Georgia is a long, winding and meandering path. We went north, west, east and even south as we progressed through the natural beauty and desolation of the Georgia waterway. And while there was some serious navigation challenges among the narrow streams and sounds, it was a most peaceful and fulfilling day.

When Rachel and I met in 1966 (yes, that is 50 years ago!) "our song" was Moon River by Andy Williams. Over the years, it has been one of those songs that conjures up fond memories and feelings of young love and the dreams we had for the future. Today, as we approached Savannah we traversed a section of the actual Moon River while the song played over the boat stereo system. It was a special moment for these "two drifters, off to see the world".


No comments:

Post a Comment