Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Full Circle

Today was an amazing day.

With seas forecast offshore with 3-4 foot swells from the southeast and winds from the west picking up in the afternoon, we decided to make an early morning departure from Cape May to New York. While we were successful in dodging most of the bad weather, it caught up with us the last two hours. Just the same, it was a relatively good day on the water covering 140 miles in under six hours. The boat ran beautifully and handled the seas with command.

As we approached New York Harbor, the Statue of Liberty came into view. Realizing that my grandparents emigrated to the United States from Italy and passed Lady Liberty before being processed at Ellis Island, was both an emotional and humbling moment for me. It is hard to imagine that just two generations later I would follow the same path in my own boat. 

Lady Liberty off the bow of Endless Summer

Ellis Island - Where my grandparents emigrated to the USA
We are docked this evening at Liberty Landing Marina, just across the Hudson River from lower Manhattan. The view looking back over the city is stunning and very special. I spent 7 years of my career working in NYC and through that experience am now able to enjoy this time on the water. I don't think I could have ever imagined that I would return one day this way. 

A full circle day in so many ways. 


Overlooking Freedom Tower - Lower Manhattan

Even more spectacular at night!



No comments:

Post a Comment