Friday, April 18, 2014

A long day... not very far!

Traveling on a boat is always "interesting". What I mean by that is, no matter what you "think" is going to happen, it rarely, if ever, does. Today is a good example.

I knew that our trip from Palm Beach south to Fort Lauderdale would be filled with MINIMUM WAKE safety zones (in other words, lots of marinas), plenty of bridges to contend with (and with odd time openings that never seem to sync up with the next bridge) and plentiful NO WAKE Manatee zones (which amazingly always seem to be around multi-million dollar homes). What I didn't expect or take into account was it is Good Friday and EVERYBODY was off work and on their boats, jet skis and kayaks. Slow.... SLOW.... S L O W!

So we traveled a total of 52 miles today (did you get that... just 52 miles) from Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale in, are your ready???  Here it comes.... SIX HOURS! A very long day on the water for very little distance.

Now the good news. The weather was very cooperative with lots of sunshine and a gentle breeze the entire route. It was actually rather relaxing with lots of time for the Admiral and I to talk about the kids, grandkids, retirement, family, friends and the occasional "idiot" who would ignore the slow speed zones and cause all sorts of bouncing and rolling.

Having arrived in Fort Lauderdale, we fueled ENCORE's hungry tanks, found our way to our slip in the Bahai Mar Yachting Center, and hosed off the days salt and spray. Tonight will be "casual night" as we venture to a beach bar for margaritas, fish tacos and lots of loud music.

I just LOVE this life!

No comments:

Post a Comment